Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pike Place Market

After the tour at Safeco, I had lunch at a brewery right next to the stadium where everyone was watching a championship soccer game in Europe. Next I headed up to the famous Pike's Place Market, which is where you hear about the workers who throw around the fish. The way they train their employees has been developed into a very popular leadership model called the FISH! philosophy. 

The market is absolutely gigantic. They have several competing markets that probably helps to keep the prices quite low. There are meat, fish, produce, and even several floral stands down the street. There was also a large section of arts and crafts, like the Fargo street fair on steroids. There was a cheese festival this weekend, so there were about 20 stands with cheese samples. Although I didn't buy anything (because I didn't want to lug anything around the rest of the day) I probably tasted the best cheeses I have ever had in my life. 




As much as I do like crab, I did not buy any today
Several types of HUGE salmon and halibut
One of many produce stands. Some even had people giving samples out. 
I'm not sure why, but flowers were very popular items at the market. It seemed that they were quite extravagant arrangements for an average price of $10-$15.

Not too far from the market is the waterfront of the bay (down several flights of stairs). The area is very unique with several levels of shops on top of each other.
View of the stadiums from Pike Street
Bay with a faint view of Olympic Mountains in the distance

 Some kind of sculpture outside the Seattle Aquarium
I heard good things about this ice cream place called Molly Moon's. They make all of their flavors themselves. I got one balsamic strawberry and one salted caramel (and it was salty).
Flavors at the shop
I walked by one store a few times during the day that had an incredibly long line. It was a Starbucks, which had a line that was always 50 people out the door. I wondered why this was, because there was another one just down the street. Then I realized this store is the original Starbucks that was opened in the 70s. 
People in line were entertained by a jazz combo
Before I left, I picked up a gyro at a Greek stand and had to get my picture by the market sign.


No comments:

Post a Comment