Monday, September 3, 2012

Chicago Begins

I am currently in Chicago for 10 weeks (2 rotation blocks), until the first weekend of November. My first rotation here is at Medco Health Solutions, which is a pharmacy benefit manager (PBM). A PBM is hired by health insurance companies to do consulting and manage the pharmacy coverage on behalf of the insurance company. One way a PBM helps the insurer is when it looks at the patient demographics of an insurance plan to figure out if lowering the cost of a medication will encourage use of a generic instead of a brand medication that are identical. The approach is one that uses both economic and clinical data to get the best patient outcomes while finding opportunities to lower healthcare costs. It is a side of pharmacy that is not very common, but also interesting. The company has several different business minds and accountants, along with pharmacists. It is a Fortune 50 company, and was just bought out by another PBM, called Express Scripts.

I am living with one of my good friend's sister, just west of downtown Chicago, in the Puerto Rican neighborhood. It was one of the better options I had in the area, as the commute is rather short at about 40 minutes to my rotation each way. 
Front of the apartment
Living room
My "room"
Kitchen



No comments:

Post a Comment